Friday 18 June 2010

London musicals' reviews

One of London's must do is to watch a musical. Every musical gives you a different experience and could make you love it or loathe it so be sure to choose music that you like or a producer that you fancy. I really enjoy musicals probably due to it being a live entertainment, how professional they look and perhaps give you a hint of what goes on behind closed doors when filming a Hollywood movie.

Here are my reviews of the musicals I've been to:

 

Dirty dancing (6.5/10)
Actually went for it twice; E tried to surprise me in our first month of dating but obviously failed. Some parts of the musical is a bit slow for me, too much talking, too little action going on. 




Oliver (8/10)
To be honest, I fell asleep mid way. Not because it was that bad but I didn't sleep at all the night before for some reasons I cannot remember. (Things I sacrifice for my degree) *shakes head* But I remember the music was quite lively with cute little kids running about. OMG they are seriously cute, would have adopted one of them if I could afford it and if I knew how to look after a child. I probably rated it higher as well because it's harder to train kids to act in front of a huge crowd though it's not really related but it is to me! :D The adult actors cracked a few jokes here and there.


Wicked (3.5/10)
I don't think it's worth watching at all though I was sick when I went for it. LOL. Aren't I quite on the unlucky side? But there's this girl dressed in green from head to toe and she screams at piercing voices most of the time & out of the blue. I find her quite annoying and unrealistic. Like if kids watch this they might think she's an alien or get the wrong idea about humans or something. Right? Kids these days are so imaginative. Heh.


Love never dies (5/10)
Almost everyone I spoke to loved this but I kinda dislike opera singing so hence a 5. Though their voices go really high or wtv but I'm not into this kinda music/sounds. Besides, although it's a sequel to Phantom of the Opera, the plots are completely different. This one was a little boring and very predictable. And I hate any movies/stories I can predict spot on cause then I'm not in the suspense which means you didn't catch my attention which equals boring.


Jersey boys (7.5/10)
It's quite entertaining maybe because I'm a bit of an Abba fan & they sang a few of their songs which I liked :D It could be a little slow at some scenes as well and only contains 4 main actors so could come across as boring to some. But their singing made up for it, to me anyway.


Hairspray (10/10)
It's one of my favourite. Full of vibrant colours and cheerful people. I loved almost every single song in this musical. It's almost a replica of the movie so if you liked the movie, you're definitely gonna like this 10 times more. Some audiences were so into it, they started jumping and waving their hands as well. It could definitely cheer you up on a bad day.


Mamma mia (9/10)
Music is rather cheerful here as well. Brings you back in time. It's probably the musical I laughed the most. Only musical I've been to where at the end, everyone was at their feet dancing and singing along.


Les Misérables (10/10)
All scenes are very entertaining. A lot of suspense are created. It's the longest musical in London. (3 hours I think) Words can't describe this musical, you just HAVE to watch it.


Rat pack (6/10)
There are only 3 main singers and 3 female dancers through out. They smoke and drink on stage, very 'cool' esp since smoking is banned indoors in the UK and man, what a job. These actors are probably doing three of their utmost favourites simultaneously: sing, smoke, drink. Some songs are rather nice. BUT, this musical is gone. The theatre is being used as a venue for Love Never Dies now.


The woman in black (5/10)
Some parts are indeed a bit scary. Do not sit at the lower deck if you're afraid. Wouldn't reveal why or I'll spoil it for those who are interested in watching it but if it bothers you till you can't sleep late at night then you can ask me :P Some scenes are a bit boring. A bit too much talking for me but it's a play not a musical so what did I expect anyway? I am too hard to satisfy I tell you!


I wish I could watch more musicals but tickets are quite expensive & I have done my time here. The best available tickets are priced at £60 for most. The cheapest range could start from £20 I think. You can buy them online or in the theatre itself but either way you are able to choose your seats. You have to pay some surcharges online though but saves you the hassle of traveling there itself. You can even purchase tickets from some stores in Trafalgar Square for convenience sake but I've never tried that cause it looks dodgy. :S

Tip: If you book it way in advance, you could even be sitting right in front.

Anyway, hope you found this helpful. (:

Enjoy your next musical!

No comments:

Post a Comment