Monday 24 May 2010

Seven wonders of the world

Did you know that wonders of the world are broken down into many groups? I used to think that it was just seven wonders of the world :S 

The first category is the oldest one ie seven wonders of the ancient world consisting of:

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon in Iraq
(The Babylonian king built it for his homesick wife who had a great liking for fragrant plants and tress of her homeland, Persia)

Lighthouse of Alexandria in Egypt
(Like a normal lighthouse, it's duty was to guide sailors into the port at night)


Mausoleum of Halicarnassus in Turkey
(It's actually a Greek tomb but the land it's now on is under Turkey)



Colossus of Rhodes in Greece
(It's believed to be a statue of a Greek god, Helios)


Temple of Artemis in Greece
(A temple dedicated to a Greek goddess, Artemis)



Statue of Zeus in Olympia, Greece
(Made by a Greek sculptor for Temple of Zeus)

Greece was very popular and tech savvy back in those days huh? Anyway, I was happily googling the wonders of the world thinking I'm gonna visit one of them next summer and guess what?!? All the six wonders above are gone. Most of them were destroyed during war time or if not during earthquakes :S I was a bit disappointed and upset that this generation can't witness the architectures and art work of these structures dated back to about 300BC.

But at least there is one sole survivor of all the mishaps and it's still standing tall in the dessert in Africa. 



Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt
(It's the oldest and largest of the three pyramids. It's main purpose was used as a tomb for the Egyptian Pharaoh. It is the tallest man-made structure in the world for more than 3 800 years!)

I'm just SO glad that I'm going to Egypt next month to see this breath taking structure. It's like killing two birds with one stone cause I always wanted to go to Africa & I'm also very keen on visiting the pyramids and the sphinx and all that. (: Although to be honest, I prefer going to Cape Town where the real deal is. But when I told my parents, my mom was like, "What? What if something happens to you? All my investments on you will go to waste!!!." My mom sees me as an 'investment'. :S

On a brighter note, since I'm going to Malta & Egypt next month where the sun is scorching and the heat is boiling, I obviously went shopping to be prepared and not return, sunburnt again. Thus, E and I went to Selfridges ytd. We had salted beef sandwich which is ok if you don't eat too much but it's one of those things which are negatively correlated; it tastes less delicious the more you have. 





We were shopping for a short while cause the temperature was just too hot and we were over clothed for the weather. I only managed to buy a straw hat and sunglasses but I was content.


My new purple shades



My straw hat



E's black shades

Oh, before I forget, the other groups are seven wonders of the: medieval world, industrial world, underwater world and seven natural wonders of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment