Wednesday 19 May 2010

Final year project (FYP)

FYP is due next Friday! Then I'm officially done with uni life and my degree would be beyond my control. That leaves my group mates and I, 1.5 weeks to come up with 25 000 words and a 20 min
presentation plus 10 min Q&A :S But there's six of us so I hope it turns out the way we want it to.

And the topic? CARS!!! When we decided on it I was like wha, what?!? I know close to nothing about cars. Occasionally, I know most brands but if you ask me for the model, I'll have no clue. Same goes with phone models and any sort of model is a huge question mark to me. Especially when it includes numbers plus alphabets like N97, N99 for Nokia phones or S500/C300/E100 for Mercedes cars. (Not even sure if those models exists)

Anyway, our title is actually, 'Influences on consumer adoption behaviour on low-emission vehicles.' So, we focussed on hybrid cars. Interesting facts about hybrids:
1 The first hybrid was actually made in 1902.
2 First commercially available hybrid is the infamous Prius by Toyota.
3 Resale value for a year old hybrid is 75-85% of it's purchase price compared to less than half for conventional cars.
4 Hybrid drivers are known as the 'silent driver' for the minimal noise they produce.
5 Hybrids produce 90% less pollutants than conventional cars.
6 Most hybrid parts are very costly but they come with many years of warranty.
7 Hybrids do not require any plug-ins. They get recharged when you're driving.

Despite, all the extra benefits of a hybrid, it still hasn't penetrated the mass market and we are looking for the factors/causes. One very obvious reason to me:
(Hint: Look at the pictures and see if you can spot the 'difference')





I think these manufacturers are in dire need to hire some designers to revamp their idea of how a car should look or the designs of their production. Dolce, Gabbana, Alexander Wang or Versace would be ideal. To me, it's as though they copied it straight out of cartoon network.

BUT on the other hand, hybrids do wonders to our environment. With greenhouse gases consistently on the rise and global warming becoming a hot topic, why don't we all take our first step in going green? There's only one earth and we should all play a role in taking good care of it for the sake of our grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Also, with the rise in adoption, you'll save some other student from being stuck with this kinda report.

So, if you're thinking of getting a new car, what better choice than the hybrid? And if you decide otherwise, feel free to tell me why so I can add it to my FYP report :D

No comments:

Post a Comment